corders in the hague

It's like having the Corders round for dinner - except the kids don't smash stuff and Mike doesn't drink all your booze. And when you're bored you can get rid of us with a mouse click rather than having to start tidying up the house.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Broke

I don't want to sound ungrateful for my quality time with mum last week, but after a week sitting next to her in the Montpellier hospital I'd had a bellyfull of hospitals.
So imagine how delighted I was to find myself in the A&E department of our local hospital this morning with my arm in a sling.
It started with a call from my friend Bert asking if I could play hockey Monday night. His team was short-handed and anybody who knew which end of the stick to hold would be fine.
I was just back from France and had a stiff neck from sitting in the uncomfortable chair next to mum, but when duty and a good friend call...
So imagine my surprise when just one minute into the match I found myself upside down in midair looking down (through the heavy, freezing rain) at the astroturf where I was about to land heavily and wondering who could possibly have slammed me so hard from behind. You guessed it: Bert. Like all the best goalkeepers he likes to stamp his authority on the opposing striker early in the match.
I applaud this, but not when I am standing between him and the aforementioned striker. The target of Bert's charge limped away with blood pouring out of a gash in his knee while I picked myself and then my arm off the turf. It felt like my arm had popped out of its socket and straight back in.
As usual, I decided that the only course of action was to run it off, so I finished the match despite the fact that I couldn't actually hit the ball without dropping my stick in agony.
So that's how we ended up in another damn hospital this morning. A quick X-ray showed that Bert, sorry I, had chipped a chunk off the top of my arm bone. The bit of bone appears to be more or less where it is supposed to and in a place where putting my arm in plaster won't work. So I have a sling and the same painkillers mum is popping by the fistful at the moment and am hoping the bone chip doesn't drift off into another part of my body.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Jenkins said...

Obviously much sympathy for you. However, out of the two of us, I would have expected that I would have been the one posting about broken arms. Also, in this high tech age, I expect to see X-Rays of the damage - what have you got an iPhone for, after all.
take care
dan

11:20 AM  
Blogger Beecroft Shields said...

We thought you would have learnt to avoid contact sports at your age, especially after yours (and my dad's) achilles injury a few years ago. Please have Esther or Julia sign your cast for me. Love Bridget.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home