corders in the hague

It's like having the Corders round for dinner - except the kids don't smash stuff and Mike doesn't drink all your booze. And when you're bored you can get rid of us with a mouse click rather than having to start tidying up the house.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Monday, September 18, 2006

Dutch idiosyncrasies 1:

The is the first in an irregular feature of this post that will shine a light on Wierd Dutch things:

When you sit in a waiting room, like at the doctor's, Dutch people greet you. They walk in and say "Goeiemorgen/goeiedag" or some such and then sit down and ignore you.
Why?
I've been walking into waiting rooms for years and have never felt the need to greet my fellow waiters.
Irmie and I were sitting waiting to sign our lives away at a mortgage broker's office last week and a couple walked in and said hello and sat down.
I racked my brains wondering where I knew them from before I remembered this strange Dutch habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home