corders in the hague

It's like having the Corders round for dinner - except the kids don't smash stuff and Mike doesn't drink all your booze. And when you're bored you can get rid of us with a mouse click rather than having to start tidying up the house.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dutch idiosyncrasies 2:

Not unrelated to my first Dutch idiosyncratic post.
When Esther and Julia go into their class at school every morning they're expected to shake their teacher's hand.
On the first day of term, I thought it was a reaonably polite way to kick off a new school year, but we're now well into the term. Enough already.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eef said...

I disagree. Our school in Sydney does the same thing. It is not Dutch, but rather an international sign of respect. Don't you shake hands with your friends every time you meet? Agree to disagree?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Eef said...

Just one more comment: I inform the Dutch about Aussie idiosyncrasies (thanks for teaching me a new word!) and you do it the other way around. Thanks for putting a smile on my face and putting things in perspective.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home